NACHS was founded in 1997. The Northern Arizona Celtic Heritage Society is dedicated to presenting, promoting, and preserving Celtic culture. Our goal is to educate the public about the heritage, language, traditions, art, and history of the Celtic people both ancient and modern.
Dissemination of information and financial assistance to support Celtic-related events and opportunities is also a prime purpose of NACHS.
We are a non-profit, 501 (C)3 Corporation.
- President: Jude McKenzie
- Vice-President: Kris Satterwhite
- Secretary: Michael Satterwhite
- Treasurer: Mike Casey
2013 Board Members
- Will Greathead
- John McGregor
- Dani McGruer
- Richard McKenzie
- Stephen Riggs
- Athletics: Erin Huizingh
- Children's Activities: Bernie Whistler
- Clans & Societies: Grace Honea and Stephen Riggs
- Grounds: Richard McKenzie and Cal Magness
- Highland Dance: Elizabeth Reich
- Historical Area: Bill Wilson
- Memberships: Michael Satterwhite
- Newsletter Editor: John McGregor
- Piping: Nicki Keesee and Dani McGruer
- Tug o' War: Richard McKenzie
- Vendors and Entertainment: Jude McKenzie
- Volunteers: Vicki Neary, Nancy McPherson and Brenda Taylor
- Workshops: Todd Barnell and John Mead
A call for volunteers for the following:
- St. David's Day - March 1 from 5 to 8:30
- Sedona St. Patrick's Day Parade - March 15 lining up and decorating the car at 9:30 in Sedona, adjourning to Charlys in Flagstaff for social hour/lunch afterwards.
- St. Patrick's Day at the Riordan Mansion - March 16 from 1 to 6
- We need all kinds of jobs covered from pouring whiskey to flag bearing, flyer passing etc.
- Anyone interested can call Jude at 928-556-3161.
Saturday, March 1 - Saint David's Day - A celebration of Wales & all things Welsh. Saint David's Day is the feast of St. David, the patron saint of Wales and falls on March 1 each year. This is celebrated as a national day in Wales. Please come join us for this Welsh tradition and enjoy Welsh music performed by members of Peaks Celtic Ensemble. 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for children/students. For more information call (928) 699-4448 https://sites.google.com/site/deseretflagstaff also see the flier.
- Saturday, March 15 - Sedona St. Patrick's Day Parade. Contact the Society phone line at (928) 556-3161 if you are ready and willing to volunteer for a typically sunny partial day in Sedona.
- Saturday, April 26 -
A Highland Tea with Diana Gabaldon. This event includes tea and food, a reading by Ms. Gabaldon, and a bookseller selling her books. There's also a hat contest. See the flier here.
Activities and Contributions of NACHS
NACHS holds monthly business meetings where everyone is welcome. Meetings are held on the first Tuesday each month from 6pm to 8pm at the Masonic Lodge, 107 E. Birch Ave., Flagstaff.
In addition to the annual Arizona Highland Celtic Festival, held in July in Flagstaff, the Northern Arizona Celtic Heritage Society presents, participates in, or sponsors a wide variety of cultural and educational activities throughout the year. All events are always open to the public (21+ for whisky tastings). and many are FREE. Often, a silent auction is part of the event, and proceeds go to our scholarship fund. The following represent some of the past activities sponsored by NACHS or activities in which NACHS has participated:
- All Hallows Gathering
- Arizona Scottish Gathering and Highland Games
- Bagpipe Jam Sessions
- Celtic Holiday Party
- Children's Music and Arts Festival (City of Flagstaff event)
- City of Flagstaff Recreation Centers (educational programs)
- Fourth of July Parade (Flagstaff)
- Highland Tea with Diana Gabaldon
- Imbolc - Brigid's Day Celebration
- Irish Festival (Phoenix)
- Movie Afternoons
- Mysteries of King Arthur (3 part series)
- Prescott Highland Games
- Robert Burns Supper -
- Saint Patrick's Day Parade (Sedona)
- Single Malt Whisky Tastings (various venues)
- Soar Into Spring (City of Flagstaff event)
- Tartan Day Celebration
- Tucson Celtic Festival (Tucson)
- Verde Valley Highland Games (Camp Verde)
For information on these events, contact Jude at 928-556-3161
One of the primary goals of the Northern Arizona Celtic Heritage
Society is to contribute to our local community and to the greater
Celtic community. We are proud to say that we have contributed over
$73,000.00 since our inception. Scholarships for Celtic related
studies are a major part of what we do. For more info about our
scholarship program please visit the scholarship page on this site.
Our contributions have benefitted many individuals as well as the
- Arizona Highlanders Pipe Band
- Boy Scouts of America
- City of Flagstaff
- Civil Air Patrol
- Flagstaff Friends of Traditional Music
- Flagstaff Light Opera Company
- Flagstaff Public Library
- Girl Scouts of America
- Heritage Square Trust
- Irish Cultural Center
- KNAU Radio
- Mesa Caledonian Pipe Band
- New York Pipes and Drums
- Northern Arizona Food Bank
- Prescott Highland Games
- Toys for Tots
- Tucson Celtic Festival
Would you like to apply for one of our scholarships? If so, then download the scholarship form, fill it out and send it to us.
Arizona Celtic Heritage Society is dedicated to presenting, promoting
and preserving Celtic culture. One of our primary goals is to support
all things Celtic. By helping NACHS you can know that you contribute
to making Celtic events happen as well as providing scholarships for others to pursue Celtic studies.
Help NACHS by making a Donation