Jude McKenzie's tune written and performed by Robert Watt.
NACHS was founded in 1997. The Northern Arizona Celtic Heritage Society is dedicated to presenting, promoting, and preserving Celtic culture. Our goal is to educate the public about the heritage, language, traditions, art, and history of the Celtic people both ancient and modern.
Dissemination of information and financial assistance to support Celtic-related events and opportunities is also a prime purpose of NACHS.
We are a non-profit, 501 (C)3 Corporation.
- President: Jude McKenzie
- Vice-President: Kris Satterwhite
- Secretary: Michael Satterwhite
- Treasurer: Mike Casey
2014 Board Members
- Will Greathead
- John McGregor
- Dani McGruer
- Richard McKenzie
- Stephen Riggs
- Kevin Parkes
- Athletics: Erin Huizingh
- Children's Activities: Bernie Whistler
- Clans & Societies: Grace Honea and Stephen Riggs
- Grounds: Richard McKenzie and Cal Magness
- Highland Dance: Elizabeth Reich
- Historical Area: Bill Wilson
- Memberships: Michael Satterwhite
- Newsletter Editor: John McGregor
- Piping: Nicki Keesee
- Tug o' War: Richard McKenzie
- Vendors and Entertainment: Jude McKenzie
- Volunteers: Vicki Neary, Dani McGruer and Brenda Taylor
- Workshops: Todd Barnell and John Mead
Help the Jim Thomson Piping School
- Saturday July 19, 2014
9:00 am to 6:00 pm Arizona Highland Celtic Festival! A HUGE heartfelt THANK YOU to the many volunteers who have helped make the festival and other related events happen! Without dedicated volunteers we would not have such wonderful events.
7:00 pm promptly, Tastes of the Celtic Regions (exclusive spirits and foods) Zane Grey Ballroom in the Weatherford Hotel (23 North Leroux, Flagstaff)- $40/person, For tickets call Jude 928-556-3161.
A unique experience into the world of Celtic food and drink awaits the 30 lucky people to purchase tickets for our Celtic Whiskey and Hors d'oeuvres event at the Zane Grey Ballroom in the Weatherford Hotel. Held during our Arizona Highland Celtic Festival, this event is not to be missed. Spirits from Asturias, Brittany, Isle of Man, Scotland and Wales will be featured. All are authentic and quite hard to come by, but two are noteworthy: Anis de la Asturian is the most traditional anise liqueur in Spain; and Manx Spirit, a blend of Irish and Scottish whiskies, which, following a proprietary process is crystal clear.
Finger food includes biscuits from Cornwall, Manx and Irish cheeses and bread from Galicia. Galician bread is so popular that even Chinese restaurants in the region serve it with their food. Must be over 21. Seating limited to 30.
8:00 pm to ?, Celtic Ceilidh at Charlys in the Weatherford Hotel - $5/person
- Sunday July 20, 2014
9:00 am to 4:00 pm Arizona Highland Celtic Festival!
9:00 am to 11 am register - Celtic Mile Fun Run and Walk in conjunction with the Arizona Highland Celtic Festival
Flagstaff Session Group, Charlys in the Weatherford Hotel - FREE
It's not just a Celtic Festival! We have a whole week of Celtic activities for you to enjoy.......
CELTIC WEEK ACTIVITIES!!!
We have a week full of events surrounding the Jim Thomson U.S. School of Piping & Drumming,
the Grand Canyon Celtic Arts Academy and the Arizona Highland Celtic Festival! For more information
on either of these schools or the festival, please visit www.nachs.info
Sunday Night 7/13
- FREE Piping…The story of the MacCrimmons and Piobairachd with Bruce Hitchings, NAU Music Building Room 146 at 7pm
Monday Night 7/14
- FREE Scottish Drumming with Gordon Brown, Andrew Elliott and Dixie Ingram then Arron Shaw on the great Highland bagpipe NAU Music Building Room 146 at 7pm
Tuesday Night 7/15
- GCCAA evening workshops at Flagstaff Arts and Leadership Academy 7 to 9
- FREE Robert Watt and Bruce Hitchings world class bagpipers, NAU Music Building Room 219 (2nd floor) 7pm
Wednesday Night 7/16
- FREE Celtic Concert, Bushmaster Park, 5:30 to 7:30
- FREE Bagpipe Concert at Heritage Square, 6:00 to 7:00
- FREE Piping School Pub Night at the Weatherford Hotel 23 N. Leroux St., downstairs at 7ish
Session night with Runa and Zac Leger at the Weatherford Hotel 23 N. Leroux St., upstairs at 8ish
Thursday Night 7/17
- Concert with Zac Leger and friends at 7:30 at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church. Tickets at olives wild, arizona music pro and online on www.livingtraditionspresentations.com
FREE Piping School Recital Night, students and instructors, Ashurst Hall NAU Campus at 7pm
Friday Night 7/18
- FREE Concert, Heritage Square, 6pm to 8pm
- Celtic Spirits Tasting…7:30ish Uptown Pubhouse, 114 North Leroux – limited number - $30
- Runa in concert. 8:00pm. Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church. Tickets at olives wild, arizona music pro and online on www.livingtraditionspresentations.com
Knockabouts at the Weatherford Hotel, 23 N. Leroux St., 8:00pm
Saturday Night 7/16
- Whisky and Celtic Sweeties at 7pm at the Weatherford Hotel, 23 N. Leroux St., limited seating - $35
Celtic Ceilidh at 8pm at the Weatherford Hotel, 23 N. Leroux St. …cover charge $5
PLEASE NOTE: The average temperature for mid-July in Flagstaff is about 80 degrees.
Activities and Contributions of NACHS
NACHS holds monthly business meetings where everyone is welcome. Meetings are held on the first Tuesday each month from 6pm to 8pm at the Masonic Lodge, 107 E. Birch Ave., Flagstaff.
In addition to the annual Arizona Highland Celtic Festival, held in July in Flagstaff, the Northern Arizona Celtic Heritage Society presents, participates in, or sponsors a wide variety of cultural and educational activities throughout the year. All events are always open to the public (21+ for whisky tastings). and many are FREE. Often, a silent auction is part of the event, and proceeds go to our scholarship fund. The following represent some of the past activities sponsored by NACHS or activities in which NACHS has participated:
- All Hallows Gathering
- Arizona Scottish Gathering and Highland Games
- Bagpipe Jam Sessions
- Celtic Holiday Party
- Children's Music and Arts Festival (City of Flagstaff event)
- City of Flagstaff Recreation Centers (educational programs)
- Fourth of July Parade (Flagstaff)
- Highland Tea with Diana Gabaldon
- Imbolc - Brigid's Day Celebration
- Irish Festival (Phoenix)
- Movie Afternoons
- Mysteries of King Arthur (3 part series)
- Prescott Highland Games
- Robert Burns Supper -
- Saint Patrick's Day Parade (Sedona)
- Single Malt Whisky Tastings (various venues)
- Soar Into Spring (City of Flagstaff event)
- Tartan Day Celebration
- Tucson Celtic Festival (Tucson)
- Verde Valley Highland Games (Camp Verde)
For information on these events, contact Jude at 928-556-3161
One of the primary goals of the Northern Arizona Celtic Heritage
Society is to contribute to our local community and to the greater
Celtic community. We are proud to say that we have contributed over
$73,000.00 since our inception. Scholarships for Celtic related
studies are a major part of what we do. For more info about our
scholarship program please visit the scholarship page on this site.
Our contributions have benefitted many individuals as well as the
- Arizona Highlanders Pipe Band
- Boy Scouts of America
- City of Flagstaff
- Civil Air Patrol
- Flagstaff Friends of Traditional Music
- Flagstaff Light Opera Company
- Flagstaff Public Library
- Girl Scouts of America
- Heritage Square Trust
- Irish Cultural Center
- KNAU Radio
- Mesa Caledonian Pipe Band
- New York Pipes and Drums
- Northern Arizona Food Bank
- Prescott Highland Games
- Toys for Tots
- Tucson Celtic Festival
Would you like to apply for one of our scholarships? If so, then download the scholarship form, fill it out and send it to us.
Arizona Celtic Heritage Society is dedicated to presenting, promoting
and preserving Celtic culture. One of our primary goals is to support
all things Celtic. By helping NACHS you can know that you contribute
to making Celtic events happen as well as providing scholarships for others to pursue Celtic studies.
Help NACHS by making a Donation